Uncover the secrets of Cambodia’s mystical Angkor Wat region during three full days of exploration and adventure. Investigate these sacred temples and explore from Angkor Wat to Ta Prohm with a knowledgeable local guide. Be awed not only by the ruins but also by stories of god-kings and lost civilizations, ancient mythology and fascinating folklore.
At a glance
|Day 1||Arrive Siem Riep followed by a Street Food Tour|
|Day 2||Visit the Angkor Temples|
|Day 3||Tour the Floating Village and transfer to Airport|
Trek through the dense steamy Cambodian jungle. Admire Hindu sculptures carved into a riverbed over a thousand years ago. Sample plenty of spicy Khmer dishes and meet locals who reside in stilted villages atop Tonle Sap. This is the perfect addition to any holiday in Cambodia.
The staggering Angkor Wat is the largest religious building ever built and recognized as one of the eight wonders of the world. Relish your time here – you’ve never seen anything like it.
Siem Reap was little more than a village when the first French explorers re-discovered Angkor in the 19th century. With the return of Angkor to French control in 1907, Siem Reap began to grow and absorb the first wave of tourists.
The Grand Hotel d’Angkor opened its doors in 1929 and the temples of Angkor. It remained one of Asia’s leading draws until the late 1960s luring visitors such as Charlie Chaplin and Jackie Kennedy. In 1975, the population of Siem Reap was evacuated by the communist Khmer Rouge and driven into the countryside. Along with Siem Reap, the rest of the cities and towns in Cambodia we also evacuated.
As with the rest of the country, Siem Reap’s history is colored by the specter of the brutal Khmer Rouge Regime. Since Pol Pot’s death in 1998, relative stability and a rejuvenated tourist industry. With the advent of war, Siem Reap entered a long slumber from which it only began to reawaken in the mid-1990s.
Siem Reap – Arrival – National Museum – Street Food Tour (D)
- Upon your arrival; you will be met by our representative who will assist you through immigration; transfer to your hotel; and check-in
- We have a Siem Reap Orientation visit to the local main shrine of Preah Ang Chheck/Chhom temple.
- We also visit Angkor National Museum where you will see many of the artifacts from every part of Cambodia in ancient times.
- In the early evening; explore Siem Reap at night by tuk-tuk.
- Cambodia’s nightlife in full; from the local people’s customs to the activities geared to tourists.
- Walking through the food markets; enjoy dinner with local beer/soft drink in a local beer garden; insect salad with cocktail (if you are brave enough to try).
- Visit night markets and or; you may want to try foot massage by fish (own account).
- At the end of the trip; take the short tuk-tuk ride back to your hotel.
- Note: There is a set menu for dinner (meal only without drink) at Chanrey Tree; for those of you who not at ease with dining at the local beer garden.
- Overnight at your hotel in Siem Reap.
Siem Reap – Angkor Highlighted Temples (B)
- Beat the crowd with an early morning 7 am visit to the picturesque Ta Prohm that had nearly disappeared into the jungle and remains overgrown; an oddly haunting and exotic scene.
- The magnificent roots of a tree; pushing between the huge stone blocks of the temple in a sort of embrace; evoke feelings that you will remember forever.
- Continue on to visit the intricately carved Khmer ruins at Angkor Wat – one of the world’s most impressive ruins. The temple still has fine Apsara carvings in Angkorian era art.
- Lunch is for your own account.
- In the afternoon; explore the mysterious Royal Angkor Thom City & Bayon. Its 54-tower temple is an awesome sight. At first glance it seems a shapeless mass of stone; but further scrutiny reveals a face; and then another and another until suddenly you are engulfed by the silent; heavy; enigmatic and silent gaze through half-closed eyes; staring out from a primitive and remote time.
- Further; visit the surroundings of the complex including the Baphou; the Elephant Terrace; the Lepper King Terrace and the Royal Place area.
- Also visit one more ruin in the Angkor Area; the Preah Khan temple; built in 12th century by King Jayavarman VII and it is the same style to Ta Prom Temple.
- Overnight at your hotel in Siem Reap.
Siem Reap – Floating Village (B/L)
- In the morning we transfer out of Siem Reap town to a beautiful village in the countryside.
- You will start with a walk through the village houses; witness the different activities from the locals for their daily life; some examples are how the locals wash vehicles; selling gasoline in whiskey bottles or the small shops where the locals sell food on the side of small streets.
- On the way; you can pick some fruit from the plants; enjoy a view of this wonderful area and interact with the very kind people in the village.
- You will take a 30-minute ride on an ox-cart through the rice paddies to reach a local house to see how this family does their daily work; such as making rice wine and handicrafts.
- Meanwhile a member of the family will offer you fresh coconut and some man made rice wine to taste.
- Afterwards hop into your van for our drive onward to the next destination; a floating community; Mechrey village.
- Here you will take a Kayak and paddle through houses; schools and even shops all bobbing on the water – though not in the dry season – as locals paddle around in traditional wooden boats. (Recommended from October to February).
- After the tour you will be transferred to the airport to board your flight for your onward destination.
- Services end at the airport.
- Thank you for choosing Azure Travel for your Cambodia experience. We thank you for your patronage & look forward to serving you again in the near future.
- Meet and assist on arrival and departure by our local representative
- Transfer and intercity transportation as per itinerary in AC vehicle
- 3 Nights’ Accommodation (3*- 4* - 5*) in a double room sharing
- Meals: as mentioned
- Local English speaking Guide
- Entrance fees
- International flights – Departure & Fuel taxes (Contact us for best airfares)
- Personal expenses, meals and drinks unless otherwise specified
- Travel insurance
- Cambodia Visa fee
- Services not stated in the itinerary
- Rate valid for travel between 01 MAY and 30 SEP 2018
- Seasonal supplements may be applicable